Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I like this because it's so quick and easy to prepare. It looks like a puffy pancake, but cuts easily and tastes great.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- In bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder& salt.
- In another bowl, beat the egg,milk and 3 tspn oil Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened Heat remaining oil in heavy 8-in skillet over low heat Pour batter into the hot skillet, cover& cook for 4-5 minute.
- Turn and cook 4 minutes longer or until golden brown.
This is a great quick cornbread recipe! I doubled it and cooked it in a larger skillet. I also added some chopped green chile peppers to go with some hot/spicy beans. If I make it without the chiles, I think I'll need to add a little sugar.
This could not be easier! Perfect for two people. i love that it's cooked on the stove. Definitely like a cornbread pancake. i did use olive oil and decreased it to 1.5 t. in the batter and 1 in the pan. Thanks for such a great recipe!
Boca Pat, I like this too!!! I doubled the recipe because my cast iron skillet is 10". Also I subbed buttermilk...just because I had it. We prefer a sweeter cornbread so I added some honey. Good enough that I made it 2 days in a row! Thanks for sharing. It's a great method for quick cornbread....Janet