Recipe by Greg: Barrow, Alaska
Sweet tasty cornbread made in an iron skillet. Northern recipe type meets Southern cooking method.
Top Review by Autumn D.
Same way we make ours with a few modifications. We use almond milk, and 1/4c of honey or maple syrup rather them sugar. Delish!! but as it says above, don't over mix the batter! it dry's a good batch of corn bread right out.
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk or 1 cup sour milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (kosher is best)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter (for skillet)
Directions See How It's Made
- pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F with 10 inch iron skillet in oven.
- Mix first four ingrdients
- in a sperate bowl mix next four ingredients
- gently combine the two mixtures just until mixed (overmixing causes a tough bread).
- remove skillet from oven and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in it.
- pour or spoon batter into skillet. it will be a thick batter.
- bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- romove and turn onto a plate.
- give five star rating on zaar.com.