Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sweet tasty cornbread made in an iron skillet. Northern recipe type meets Southern cooking method.
Make and share this Cornbread in a Skillet recipe from Food.com.
- pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F with 10 inch iron skillet in oven.
- Mix first four ingrdients
- in a sperate bowl mix next four ingredients
- gently combine the two mixtures just until mixed (overmixing causes a tough bread).
- remove skillet from oven and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in it.
- pour or spoon batter into skillet. it will be a thick batter.
- bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- romove and turn onto a plate.
- give five star rating on zaar.com.
Same way we make ours with a few modifications. We use almond milk, and 1/4c of honey or maple syrup rather them sugar. Delish!! but as it says above, don't over mix the batter! it dry's a good batch of corn bread right out.
Made as directed using milk instead of buttermilk (as that's what I had) and served with Hamhocks n greens. Easy to put together, but for us I think the baking time was a little to long as it was kind of dry so think next time I'll reduce it by 5 minutes. The flavor was good with just a hint of sweetness that we enjoyed.
I made this last night and my family enjoyed it lots. Substituted coarser cane sugar for the regular sugar, which gave it a bit extra pebbliness of texture that my southern partner assures me is authentic, plus used soy flour instead of the typical flour. Yum! It was all gone before dinner was done ;)