Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
a one dish skillet supper, that is a real big hit with kids.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 10 inch ovenproof skillet, cook the beef, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, and drain.
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions, and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Put in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Stir tomato soup, salsa, ketchup, and steak sauce into beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This is really good. I made cornbread from scratch (instead of jiffy mix) and I added a jalapeno diced and some diced chedar to the cornbread batter. I also added a can of mixed vegies to the meat mixture. It is very satisfying with a side of steamed broccoli. Thanks for the delish recipe!!
We don't have jiffy mix here but I received some from a swap partner so used it for this. I loved the meat base of the pie but found that the jiffy mix was really hard to spread evenly on top and when it should have been cooked there were a few places where the jiffy mix was still a little gooey. This is a great idea but I think I would have preferred a pastry top..loved the meat mix though. Thanks for posting!
Anything with cornbread is going to be well received in my house. I made half a recipe using ground turkey for the beef and homemade tomato sauce in place of the soup. Cornbread Mix was used for the cornbread topping. The half a recipe made 4 nice servings and a tossed salad completed the meal. Made for *Aussie Swap*