Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My son is allergic to eggs, so I've tried many corn bread recipes that do not contain eggs. This is our favorite eggless corn bread recipe as it rises nicely and is very moist.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups rice milk or 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8" or 9" square pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients--cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the wet ingredients--milk, oil, vinegar, and corn syrup.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
My older child is vegan, so we tried a vegan Thanksgiving this year. I never would have believed I could make cornbread without eggs. I used soy milk and canola oil in the recipe, and it was the best cornbread I ever made!
I made this tonight. I love it. No one in the house could tell the difference. They knew I used a different recipe but still like them.
Awesome..I just made corn muffins with this recipe. I'm am throughly pleased. I had to substitute the corn syrup. I used mrs butterworth. However, it turned out perfect. Thanks for the recipe.