Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My son is allergic to eggs, so I've tried many corn bread recipes that do not contain eggs. This is our favorite eggless corn bread recipe as it rises nicely and is very moist.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk or 1 1⁄4 cups rice milk or 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8" or 9" square pan.
- Combine the dry ingredients--cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in the wet ingredients--milk, oil, vinegar, and corn syrup.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the sides begin to pull away from the edge of the pan and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This is by far the best eggless corn bread recipe I have ever tried. I made this recipe into cornbread muffins. They were yummy and moist, no one even noticed that they weren't made with a egg based cornbread recipe. I omitted the corn syrup and increased the sugar from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup to make up for taking the corn syrup out. I used skim milk and Bobs Red Mill fine ground cornmeal. I also baked them at a higher temperature than the 375 degrees that the recipe called for. I set the oven at 425 degrees for 12-15 mins, turning them once half way through the cook time.
Absolutely perfect. As another reviewer mentioned... better than if it was made with egg!!! I Made the recipe exact.. only cooked it on the grill in a buttered cast iron skillet, then topped it with a honey & butter mix (that was a, Martha/Emmeril thing...mmmmm). EXCELLENT!!!! Son, who hates corn bread, had seconds of this. Thanks SO MUCH :)
Omg! I just made these..they came out great. My entire family loved it!! The only thing I did different was add more sugar. Great hit!!