Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 1⁄3 cup reserved bacon fat
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium celery ribs, with leaves chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 10 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread, dried overnight
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup turkey broth or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place the bacon strips in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake in the upper third of the oven until crisp and browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Some strips of bacon will cook more quickly than others, so remove them as they crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Crumble when cool.
- As the bacon fat renders and accumulates in the baking sheet, pour it off into a small heatproof bowl; reserve 1/3 cup.
- In a big skillet, heat the reserved bacon fat over medium heat; add in the onions, celery, apples, and green pepper; cook/stir until the onions are softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add in poultry seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Scrape the vegetable mixture into a large bowl; mix in the cornbread, crumbled bacon, pecans, and parsley.
- Gradually beat in the half-and-half and egg; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a lightly buttered casserole; drizzle with broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes (uncover the last 15 minutes for a crusty top).