Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This recipe resembles the type of dressing that my mother's family used to make. This style of dressing is very moist and can be dipped with a spoon.
- 2 cups cornmeal (I prefer buttermilk style)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (depending on taste)
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth (canned broth works fine(use 4 cups if you want to cut dressing with knife-will still be moist--use)
- 2 cups finely crumbled loaf bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- salt and pepper
- To cook cornbread, mix first 5 ingredients.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 1" x 6" x 8" pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cornbread is cool, crumble (I use my food processor) and place in large bowl.
- Cook onions and celery for 5 minutes in microwave in 2 cups of the chicken broth.
- Mix with crumbled corn bread.
- Beat remaining eggs with milk.
- Add to bread mixture.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Pour into casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.