Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe resembles the type of dressing that my mother's family used to make. This style of dressing is very moist and can be dipped with a spoon.
- 2 cups cornmeal (I prefer buttermilk style)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (depending on taste)
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth (canned broth works fine(use 4 cups if you want to cut dressing with knife-will still be moist--use)
- 2 cups finely crumbled loaf bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- salt and pepper
- To cook cornbread, mix first 5 ingredients.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into 1" x 6" x 8" pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- When cornbread is cool, crumble (I use my food processor) and place in large bowl.
- Cook onions and celery for 5 minutes in microwave in 2 cups of the chicken broth.
- Mix with crumbled corn bread.
- Beat remaining eggs with milk.
- Add to bread mixture.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Pour into casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.