Recipe by ShellyD64
This is my grandmother's recipe - although I don't think that she used the packages of cornbread mix! My Yankee mother-in-law thinks that white bread dressing is the only way to go but she likes this one. It takes some time to get it ready to go in the oven but it is worth it!
- 3 packages cornbread mix
- 1 stack cracker
- 1 lb bacon, fried
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 raw eggs, beaten
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, boiled and deboned (save broth)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Crumble cornbread, crackers and bacon into large bowl; add chicken broth (can use canned broth if not enough left from boiling chicken).
- Mix well.
- Add soup and mix again.
- Add eggs; stir.
- Mix in onion and chicken; stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.