Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
We have been using this recipe for many years--it is a favorite, although I no longer stuff it inside the birds any more. It is very moist and tasty, also very good stuffed into stuffed bell peppers.
- 1 pan of your favorite cornbread
- 3 squash (yellow or patty cake summer variety) or 3 eggplants, peeled and chopped (if not available)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 hot pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon Crisco shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jarraw oysters (optional)
- 3 (10 3/4 ounce) cans chicken and rice soup
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, mashed
- Cook squash, onion, bell pepper, hot pepper, Crisco and celery in 1 cup of water until soft.
- Mix in with cornbread broken up into pieces or crumbed.
- Add salt and pepper, pecans, oysters eggs and soups; mix well.
- You can stuff this into a chicken or turkey (cleaned and cold) an bake and the leftovers can go into a separate casserole dish.
- Bake at 350°F in dish for 40 minutes.