Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a yummy skillet cornbread recipe I've found and adapted. It works great for french toast too! (french toast cornbread and cornbread recipe below)
FOR THE CORNBREAD
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white flour (all-purpose works too)
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FRENCH TOAST
- maple syrup (amount is up to you)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 -5 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tablespoon nutmeg
- mixed berry (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc)
- butter (for coating and such)
- FOR THE CORNBREAD:.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Sift the cornmeal, flours, and baking powder together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, honey, salt, and 1/3 cup of the oil. Whisk the wet ingredients with the dry until well-incorporated.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsps of oil into a large skillet, being sure to coat well on all sides. Heat the skillet until smoking and add the batter. Spread so it covers each area of the pan equally. Transfer the skillet to the pre-heated oven and bake at 325 until the cornbread is golden brown and solid (toothpick comes out clean in the center) about 25 minutes. Let cool before serving.
- FRENCH TOAST CORNBREAD:.
- Whisk the milk with the eggs, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Coat a skillet with butter and set to a high heat. While the pan warms, place the cornbread slices into the egg/milk mixture and let soak (if the cornbread proves to be too thick, slice in half). Be sure to soak both sides. Once the pan is sufficiently heated; turn to a medium heat and place soaked cornbread slices into the hot pan.
- Check the face-down side of the french-toast, flipping once golden brown to cook the face-up side. Once cooked; serve with berries, confectioners sugar, butter, and maple syrup.