I got this from Quick Cooking magazine but I altered it by adding dry Italian dressing mix because I didn't have the ranch that it called for. My husband liked it so that's always good!
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine corn bread mix and salad dressing mix.
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in milk, then place in bag and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
I have made this recipe using Ranch salad dressing mix. It didn't do well on the stove top for me -- too brown on the outside and not done enough on the inside -- so I transferred it to the oven. It tasted quite good, though. The coating may adhere better if the chicken were dipped in flour then and egg/milk mixture first and then into the cornbread mixture. (Got my recipe for the Taste of Home Bulletin Board)
I made this last night after seeing Vicky's wonderful pics. Only changes I made was that I used chicken tenders, and I cooked them the whole time in the oven. Only problem I found was that the coating didn't really want to stay on. Perhaps next time I will use egg whites instead of milk to put the coating on. The batter was also a little too sweet- I will try a different corn muffin mix too. Thanks for sharing!
This was delicious! I baked mine though for about 35-40 min @ 375. I just prefer baked chicken. It was juicy and the crust came out perfect. Thanks for the great dinner. I served this with Copycat Green Giant Niblets Corn in Butter Sauce. I'll definitely be making this again. :)