Recipe by alimel_01
This is also a staple at our house! My dad loves cornbred so to keep the rest of us from getting bored with it, we came up with this recipe. It's similar to Mexican cornbread but with our own take on it
Top Review by Susie D
5 stars all of the way! This was the meatiest cornbread casserole I've tried. The layering made the result visually pleasing too. I subbed 2 small boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix and 2/3 cup milk and used a 8X11 glass casserole pan to bake. Thank you for sharing your recipe!! Made for Spring 2010 Pick a Chef.
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the cornmeal, eggs, milk, corn, & oil togehter in a large bowl and set aside.
- Saute meat, onion, and peppers together in a large skillet.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased casserold dish.
- Add the meat mixture on top of the 1/2 batter mix in the casserole dish and then sprinkle cheese on top of meat mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350.