Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Hearty, stick-to-the-ribs cabbage casserole. This goes great with pork chops or ham, although I could make a meal of just this alone. Whenever I make cornbread, I usually double the recipe so I have enough left to make this the next day.
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups prepared cornbread, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium saucepan, cook cabbage, covered, in small amout of boiling, lightly salted water for 5 min.
- ,then drain.
- In same saucepan melt margarine or butter.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Add milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in bell pepper, cheese, and onion.
- Stir until cheese is melted, then remove from heat.
- Place 3 c.
- of cornbread in 2-quart casserole dish.
- Top with cooked cabbage, sauce, and then remaining 1 c.
- of cornbread.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.