Hearty, stick-to-the-ribs cabbage casserole. This goes great with pork chops or ham, although I could make a meal of just this alone. Whenever I make cornbread, I usually double the recipe so I have enough left to make this the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1/2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups prepared cornbread, crumbled
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2In medium saucepan, cook cabbage, covered, in small amout of boiling, lightly salted water for 5 min.
- 3,then drain.
- 4In same saucepan melt margarine or butter.
- 5Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- 6Add milk.
- 7Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- 8Stir in bell pepper, cheese, and onion.
- 9Stir until cheese is melted, then remove from heat.
- 10Place 3 c.
- 11of cornbread in 2-quart casserole dish.
- 12Top with cooked cabbage, sauce, and then remaining 1 c.
- 13of cornbread.
- 14Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread-Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 12.7 mg
- Sodium 249.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: