Recipe by mollypaul
Vary this recipe by adding two beaten eggs and mix well; press into a loaf pan, cover with bacon and bake at 350F for an hour. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs liver
- 2 cups cornbread, crumbs
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1⁄4 cup onion, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage or 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Place liver in a bowl and cover with boiling water; let stand for five minutes.
- Remove from water and run through a food grinder or food processor.
- Combine with cornbread crumbs, grated onion, bacon drippings, herbs and seasonings.
- Add enough hot water to moisten.
- Shape into six thick patties.
- Wrap with bacon and fasten ends with a toothpick.
- Place under hot broiler about 4" from the heat source.
- Cook until patties are well browned; flip and cook on the other side until bacon is crisp.