Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was looking for a dressing to go with a goose for Christmas when I came up with the idea to combine my 2 favorite dressings. Turned out to be a huge hit.
- 1 lb sausage (removed from casings)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh cornbread, crumbled
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (giblet stock works best)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine 2 cups of stock, water and rice in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then turn down heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain, put in large mixing bowl with cornbread and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Sauté onion, celery, garlic and shallot over medium heat until translucent.
- Add sausage. Brown.
- Add sage, salt, and pepper.
- Add to rice/cornbread mixture. Toss.
- Put mixture into baking dish (10 X 15 works well) drizzle with remaining stock.
- Cook on lower shelf until top is crispy, about 25 minute.