This is a biggest loser recipe served with Turkey Roulade and mushroom gravy for a Healthy holiday Meal.Total time does not include making Cornbread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups cornbread cubes, dried (I use healthy cornbread Healthy Cornbread)
- 4 ounces lean Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions or 1 cup white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- pitted dried plum, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place cornbread cubes in large bowl and set aside.
- 2In small nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, crumbling and stirring until brown and cooked through. Drain well and set aside.
- 3In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, celery and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don't allow garlic to brown. Stir in sausage, apricots, plums, thyme, sage, marjoram and 1/4 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat; pour vegetable mixture over cornbread. Add parsley and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing may be prepared to this stage a day ahead and refrigerated, covered.).
- 5Whisk together egg and remaining 3/4 cup broth and pour over cornbread mixture, tossing well. Spray 2-quart baking dish with canola oil cooking spray (use larger baking dish if not reserving dressing for Turkey Roulade) and transfer all but 1 1/2 cups of dressing to baking dish. Cover dish with foil and set aside.
- 6After Turkey Roulade has been in oven 30 minutes, place covered baking dish of dressing in oven. After 15 minutes (or when internal temperature of roulade, measured with instant-read thermometer, is 155 °F), remove roulade from oven and remove foil from baking dish with dressing. Continue baking dressing for about 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread and Dried Fruit Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 84.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 402.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: