Recipe by Pixie's Kitchen
From Thanksgiving edition of Martha Stewart Living 2007. Had to post for safe keeping and am going to try this for Thanksgiving. Notes from magazine: Crumble the cornbread and biscuits and let them dry overnight. To toast the pecans, spread on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- 8 cups cornbread, dried and crumbled (recipe follows)
- 8 cups biscuits, dried and crumbled (recipe follows)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter (plus more for baking sheets)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 4 fresh serrano chilies, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 2 rimmed baking skeets. Toss cornbread, biscuits, pecans, and sage in large bowl.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in skillet over high heat. Add onion, celery, and chiles, and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add to cornbread-biscuit mixture and stir in stock, milk, eggs, salt, and pepper. (Mixture will be liquidy).
- Divide among prepared baking sheets, and bake fro 45 minutes. Brush the dressing with melted butter, and bake until crusty, about 15 minutes more. Dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 day; reheat before using.