Dressing, stuffing, whatever, this is just good. I modified the instructions slightly, but the recipe came form my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook that's absolutely ancient. See note at bottom on how to make a vegetarian version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
- 6 slices stale bread, torn in small bits, please use a good quality bread
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken broth
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Saute the onions and celery in the bacon drippings, until soft but not browned.
- 3Let cool slightly.
- 4Toss the cornbread, bread, bacon, poultry seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper until mixed well.
- 5Add the cooked celery and onions and toss to mix well.
- 6Add the eggs and 1 cup of the chicken broth and stir to moisten, adding as much broth as needed.
- 7(Everytime is going to be different.) This is a personal taste decision.
- 8I like my dressing moist so I add broth until I have a very wet mixture.
- 9Any type pan will work for baking.
- 10I generally use a 8 x 8 disposable pan, but if I am making a double batch I use a 9 x 13 pan.
- 11Bake for 30 min, uncovered, or until golden on top.
- 12This is enough to stuff an 8 to 10 lb turkey, if you so desired.
- 13**NOTE**I have made this several times for vegetarian dinners, omitting the bacon, drippings and chicken broth and substituting with either butter, or olive oil and vegetable broth with great success.
- 14ALSO--If you save leftover pieces of cornbread/bread heels in a ziploc bag in your freezer, you will have half the work already done when your ready to make this.
- 15(Just a tip my grandma told me that works.).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread and Bacon Stuffing (Dressing)b
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 642.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: