Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The only way southern ladies make it. This is nothing more than passed down with time and convenience of cornbread mixes and an iron skillet...
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cornmeal (Martha White is wonderful)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (a little more to make like a pancake type mixture Or 1 cup of milk and a little mayonnaise to make t)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- Preheat 450 degrees put oil in iron skillet until ready to use.
- Mix the cornmeal, egg and milk together.
- When oil is real hot pour over cornmeal mixture.
- Once mixed together, pour back into the 10" iron skillet.
- Place in the oven until golden brown on the top.
- The best cornbread comes from a well seasoned skillet.
- The blacker the better!
- I have never used 2 1/2 cups of the corn meal. I have heard of the flour but if done right I swear it's like slicing bread.
I'm giving this five stars simply because this is the recipe that was handed down to me by my mother and her mother before her so I know how wonderful it is. Same recipe and baking method of adding the hot oil/drippings to the batter except instead of 1/4 cup regular oil, we use 1/4 cup of bacon drippings which is strained, cooled and kept in a mason jar in the fridge. The drippings give it a wonderful flavor and it smells heavenly while baking.
of the 2 1/2 cups of meal, trying using 1/2 C flour for variation.. it make a softer, moister bread..
I don't want to ruin the rating here because it may just be my taste, (or lack thereof!!) so I'm not leaving any stars, but this cornbread wasn't good (to me) at all. :( I added approx. 2/3 cup heavy cream since I didn't have enough milk and used 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour. I followed the oil procedure as well and it came out very grainy, with a not very good taste at all. Perhaps my iron skillet isn't "seasoned" enough. :) I made another recipe from recipezaar (228259) that was much better. I will save this batch for stuffing for the holidays, so no worries, nothing wasted!! ***I forgot to add that I also may have over baked it as there is no baking time listed for this cornbread recipe. I started with 15 mins, then watched and checked it every 5 mins. Total bake time for me was approx. 22 mins.