Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil or 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted, cooled
- Sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, milk and oil or melted shortening. Beat until just smooth-do not overbeat.
- Turn into a greased 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake in a 425: oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Can add drained corn, bacon, finely chopped jalapeno peppers etc. for a different taste.
Great recipe! I think that the amount of baking powder in this recipe really makes a difference! I used No Salt Added canned corn with mine, and it was great!
This recipe turned out great! I just love corn bread w/ maple syrup and milk and a big bowl of chili!:o)
Great 'simple' cornbread, just perfect for soup or beans. Very good recipe, quick and easy! Thanks for posting it.