From the kitchen of Agnes Carroll, my grandmother. This has just the right amount of sweetness and is always moist. Buttermilk can be used instead of soured milk. Reduced 2 tsp to 1 tsp on Sep 16 2011. It tastes better, more sweet.
- Put vinegar in milk to sour until used. Just before using, add soda.
- In bowl, place cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, salad oil, eggs, baking powder and half of soured milk (or buttermilk).
- Beat until well mixed, but no longer.
- Add other half of milk and beat again.
- Pour into well greased 8" square pan and bake at 375 degrees until it leaves sides of pan and is well browned, about 40 minutes.
I used buttermilk,cooked in small iron skillet.Yielded 4 large or 6 small slices.Is very good and moist.Cooked a pot of pinto beans with smoked ham hock.Remove hock,take the meat off and throw into the pot.All you need do for dinner is butter the cornbread and place in center of plate.Now you fill a big ladle with the beans and cover the cornbread.This is all you need for a good meal on a snowy day!Awesome!Thanks for the recipe.Will make again and again.