From the kitchen of Agnes Carroll, my grandmother. This has just the right amount of sweetness and is always moist. Buttermilk can be used instead of soured milk. Reduced 2 tsp to 1 tsp on Sep 16 2011. It tastes better, more sweet.
- Put vinegar in milk to sour until used. Just before using, add soda.
- In bowl, place cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, salad oil, eggs, baking powder and half of soured milk (or buttermilk).
- Beat until well mixed, but no longer.
- Add other half of milk and beat again.
- Pour into well greased 8" square pan and bake at 375 degrees until it leaves sides of pan and is well browned, about 40 minutes.