Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the cornbread I make when we want to eat "country food", which is quite often.
- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix (White Lily buttermilk flavored is best)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F with your favorite iron skillet inside.
- Mix all ingredients except butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Take hot skillet out of oven and melt butter in it.
- Pour cornbread mix in skillet and bake at 400°F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
I made this cornbread to go with dinner tonight. I was thinking three stars but the rest of the family gave it four stars. I think if I added a touch of honey or sugar next time I would like it better. The texture was perfect. Oh how I wish I had a cast iron corn bread pan. You know, the one that looks like corn cobs. Reminds me of my childhood. Corn bread always tastes best when cook in one of those pans. ;0) Served with Treebread's Red Beans and Rice.
This cornbread is amazing! It's my new "go to" cornbread recipe. So easy, and such a hit with the family and with guests. My family also likes "corn-y" cornbread, so next time I'm going to try making this with a can of creamed corn added.
Great cornbread. We really did like it. Great texture. Will be using this a lot. Thanks for posting.