Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple cornbread recipe. I think this is an Alton Brown recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Preheat cast iron skillet in hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in another.
- Put butter in hot skillet to melt, and dump most of it into the wet stuff.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ones.
- Put batter into skillet and bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
Very tasty - just like mom used to make! Added a little more sugar, as Himself likes his cornbread sweeter than most, and did not have a cast iron skillet so just added the melted butter to the liquids and sprayed a casserole with Pam instead. Thanks for sharing
I added a cup of cheddar and one jalapano and the recipe still worked wonderfully. Loved this recipe!!! So easy to make and had so much flavour. Thank you so much for posting it.