Recipe by CarolAT
This is my Mom's favorite southern cornbread recipe that she passed on to me. It is easy to make and full of flavor.
Top Review by pedspeech
As CarolAT stated, good and easy to make! Only change I made was addition of a little sugar (less than 1/4 cup) just to our taste. I think mine had to cook for almost 30 minutes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place butter in 10-inch cast-iron skillet and place in oven until butter melts. Spread butter around skillet when melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, with fork, beat buttermilk and eggs until blended. Pour melted butter from the skillet into this mixture; then add buttermilk mixture to the corn meal mixture.
- Stir just until corn meal mixture is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour batter into prepared skillet. Bake about 25 until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.