Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love corn bread with chili - especially my Meatless Chili! This is definitely a northern cornbread, as it is slightly sweet.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F; grease bottom & sides of a 9x9x2-inch or 8x8x2-inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, set aside.
- In another bowl combine the eggs, milk, and oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture.
- Stir just till moistened.
- Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, till a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
I like my cornbread a little sweet, so this was ideal. It really doesn't take much longer to mix this up than it does a mix. The flavor was perfect but the texture wasn't as moist as I would have liked. Thanx for posting!
I almost always use a mix when making cornbread, so this recipe was a nice change of pace for me, with the reward of a easy-to-make, tasty cornbread! Another time I'd like to take the 'Motivated' suggestion & use some applesauce, but other than that . . . Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
This was my first time making cornbread from scratch and it was so easy! It came out crispy on the outside and soft & fluffy on the inside. I only used three tbs of sugar and it was a big hit but I think it would be an even bigger hit if I used the full four! I also replaced half the oil with applesauce to make it a little more healthy. I can't wait to make this again with corn added!! Thank you for posting! Yum!!