Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy yellow cornbread the old fashioned way. This is my grandmothers recipe and according to my mom I posted it wrong so here are the revisions. You must use buttermilk for the flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated and set aside
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- Mix corn meal, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add buttermilk, and egg yolks, beat with cornmeal mix.
- Add in melted margarine while mixing.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (important).
- Gently fold in just enough to mix thoroughly.
- Cook at 450°F until done, 20-30 minutes.
I'm using your recipe as a project at school so thank GOD AND GESUS there was such a lip smacking cornbread recipe. URE AWSEOMED!!!!!!!!!~
Fantastic! There are so many variations of cornbread - course, light, sweet, not so sweet, spicy, etc. For me and my family this is the best. Great flavor and a wonderful texture due to the beating of the separate egg whites. The hubby has already asked when I will be making it again.