Recipe by celestial_star03
Yummy yellow cornbread the old fashioned way. This is my grandmothers recipe and according to my mom I posted it wrong so here are the revisions. You must use buttermilk for the flavor.
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated and set aside
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix corn meal, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add buttermilk, and egg yolks, beat with cornmeal mix.
- Add in melted margarine while mixing.
- Beat egg whites until stiff (important).
- Gently fold in just enough to mix thoroughly.
- Cook at 450°F until done, 20-30 minutes.