Recipe by stingo
From www.foodandhealth.com Per Cookgirl's recommendation, I'd like to say that although the recipe states "mix well" in step 4, be very careful about not overmixing the batter. A lighter hand works wonders here.
Top Review by Snowpeas
I also used 1 tablespoon agave in place of sugar and cut down the oil to 2 tablespoons like Smellyvegetarian did. I used unsweetened almond milk instead of skim milk. One batch made 12 muffins and they were absolutely delicious! This recipe is a real keeper. Thank you Stingo so much for posting such a delicious and healthy recipe!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal or 1 cup blue cornmeal, whole grain
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup egg whites or 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan, baking for about 30 minutes until done. Let cool, and cut into 12 squares. Serve warm. Cover and refrigerate unused portions.