Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄4 cups sour milk
- Put vegetable shortening in an 8” cast iron skillet and place in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix cornmeal and flour together until well blended.
- Add eggs and milk and mix until dry ingredients are just wet. Do not over mix.
- Remove skillet from oven, shake to coat sides with oil and then pour hot oil into cornbread mixture.
- Mix in quickly and then pour cornbread batter into hot skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until brown.