Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the best tasting corn bread. This recipe comes from the Dinosaur Bar-b-que cookbook.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Set the oven at 350 degrees. Grease an 8 by 8 inch baking pan with shortening. Pop the pan in the oven to heat while you're mixing up the corn bread.
- Mix the cornmeal, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter in another bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give them a good stir, just till everything is moistened.
- Pull the hot greased pan from the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Take the corn bread out of the oven and brush the top with honey.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before cutting into squares.
This was nice freshly made, but tasted terrible and dry the next day. It had a bitter after taste and I think could have done with more sugar.