Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have made this cornbread for 18 years and everybody loves it
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (YOU CAN LEAVE THIS OUT IF YOU LIKE)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- MIX EVERYTHING JUST UNTIL MOISTENED.
- PLACE ABOUT 2 T CRISCO IN BAKING PAN (SMALL) AND MELT IN 425 OVEN.
- WHEN CRISCO IS MELTED TILT TO COVER PAN AND POUR BATTER INTO THE PAN.
- BAKE UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN.
super easy and really delish cornbread. thanks for the recipe! :)
I used butter flavor Crisco instead of butter, whole wheat flour and no sugar and got an excellent result. The bread was very hearty and held up well when dumped in the leftovers and reheated. A really excellent side with stews or gravys. I like it right out of the pan.
My grandma used to make cornbread all the time when she came over and visited. She called it "johnny cake". This reminded me of that. This is really good with chilli. Or even with honey spread on top. Yummy