Recipe by Slatts
At big family meals growing up cornbread was often a staple on the table but depending on whose house you were at it could be savory or sweet. I prefer the latter. If you like your cornbread sweet with honey butter then this recipe should be right up your alley. From the "Hay Day Country Market Cookbook".
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Definitely A GREAT RECIPE that makes for AN OUTSTANDING BREAKFAST! The 2 of us really enjoyed this one, the leftover waffles made a wonderful snack later in the day! And the flavor combo in the butter, is just great, too! Just wish you could get more stars than only 5! A keeper, for sure! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
For Maple-Strawberry Butter
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and mashed
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
For Corn Waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip 8 tablespoons butter and the maple syrup on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the strawberries slowly and blend to incorporate. The powdered sugar should be added sparingly if the moisture from the strawberries causes the butter to seperate. The sugar will bind it back together.
- Refridgerate until waffles are ready.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix together eggs, buttermilk, and butter in another bowl.
- Mix the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in the corn.
- Cook according to waffle makers instructions. They should be browned and crispy.
- Serve warm with Maple-Strawberry Butter.