Karen From Colorado's Note:
A Mexican meal is just not complete without some tortillas to butter or wrap around fillings. Tortillas can be found on Mexican tables and at nearly every meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine masa harina with water.
- 2Mix with hands until dough is moist but holds its shape.
- 3Add more water if needed.
- 4Let dough rest for 15 minutes.
- 5Divide dough into 12 balls.
- 6Dampen dough slightly with water.
- 7Using a tortilla press or a flat baking dish, press dough between two pieces of waxed paper to a 6 inch round.
- 8Carefully peel off the top sheet of paper.
- 9Place tortilla, paper side up, on a hot ungreased griddle or skillet.
- 10Gently peel off remaining paper.
- 11Cook for 30 seconds or until edges begin to dry.
- 12Turn and cook until surface appears puffy.
- 13Repeat with remaining dough balls.
- 14To make taco shells: In a heavy skillet heat 1/4 inch cooking oil.
- 15Fry each tortilla 10 seconds or until limp.
- 16With tongs, fold tortilla in half and continue frying holding edges apart.
- 17Cook 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 minutes more or until crisp, turning once.
- 18Drain on paper towels.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Tortillas/Taco Shells
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 69.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 388.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g