Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
This is the real thing! A simple mixture of masa harina and water results in the most wonderful corn tortillas you ever tasted. The secret is to use a cast iron pan! You can buy masa harina at Mexican grocery stores or in the ethnic food aisle of large supermarkets.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, mix together masa harina and hot water until thoroughly combined.
- Turn dough onto a clean surface and knead until pliable and smooth. If dough is too sticky, add more masa harina; if it begins to dry out, sprinkle with water.
- Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet or griddle to medium-high.
- Divide dough into 15 equal-size balls.
- Using a tortilla press, a rolling pin, or your hands, press each ball of dough flat between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- Immediately place tortilla in preheated pan and allow to cook for approximately 30 seconds, or until browned and slightly puffy.
- Turn tortilla over to brown on second side for approximately 30 seconds more, then transfer to a plate.
- Repeat process with each ball of dough.
- Keep tortillas covered with a towel to stay warm and moist until ready to serve.