Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ultimate summer salad when corn is in season, fresh cilantro from the market and tomatoes are at their peak. Serve this salad along with grilled pork tenderloin. You can easily turn it into a main course by adding sliced grilled chicken and serve on a bed of leafy greens. Recipe from Jills Table.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 2 cups corn, from 2 large ears of corn
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, bring the water to a boil along with 1 teaspoons of vegetable oil. Add the couscous and stir.
- Cover. Remove pot from heat and let sit for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Cook the corn in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegtable oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and black pepper to make the dressing.
- Add corn, peppers, red onion and dressing to the couscous.
- Salad may be made up to this point one day ahead and refrigerated.
- Add the tomatoes and cilantro and toss until well combined. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- If fresh corn is not availabel, use frozen. For a more nutritious dish, use whole wheat Haida couscous.
I made this to go with crab cakes. This was my time making couscous. I wasn't sure if my kids would eat it, but they did! My husband especially liked the jalapenos. I only added a pinch of cumin, since we had cumin in a few of our other dishes. The dressing does absorb very quickly, so I served it right away.Thanks for expanding our palate. Roxygirl
This is a very tasty salad! I loved the flavor combination and will make again! I found that it seemed a little drier after spending the night in the fridge. I would probably make more dressing to toss with it just before serving if making ahead. Also, I only added 1 T. of the jalapenos this time and will add more the next time. They add a great flavor to the dish. Thanks for a great summer salad!