Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an excellent dish alone or as a side dish for both hot and cold entrees. Best if allowed to stand at least an hour in order to marinate the flavors. Can even be made a day or two ahead, as the flavors get even better.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lightly toasted,freshly ground cumin seed
- 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red chile honey (see ingredients below)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn)
- 6 large coarsely chopped ripe roma tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
Red Chile Honey
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- To make red chile honey: Mix honey, red chile powder, cumin and garlic salt.
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan on low heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- To make salsa: Lightly saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Mix the chopped cilantro, cumin seed, jalapeno, vinegar, honey, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the corn, tomatos, black beans and sauteed ingredients.
- Stir to combine thoroughly.
This was so yummy! I made it to go with some corn fritters and burritos and it made the dishes even more exciting. Very fresh flavours! Will definitely use this recipe again. Thank you!
Oh how I love this salsa. Take note: the amount of red chile honey this calls for is much less than the amount which is made by following the red chile honey recipe. With that said, I like this salsa a little sweeter and so I added more of the red chile honey than is called for. I also like to put in more corn and less black beans than is called for (just a personal preference). This is a really great recipe that I get requests for all the time. Thanks for posting.