This is a great side for that Mexican or Tex-Mex meal. I don't remember where I got it so I'm saving it here for posterity. I would hate to lose it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Lightly grease 4 timbale molds or 4-oz. custard cups.
- 3In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, cornmeal, cumin, chili powder and salt.
- 4Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally over moderate heat.
- 5Lower the heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until very thick.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7In a medium-size bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- 8Whisk about a quarter of the hot cornmeal into the beaten whites then slowly pour the whites into the remaining cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly about 1 minute or more, just until thickened.
- 9divide the mixture among the prepared molds, pressing the surfaces with the back of a spoon.
- 10Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- 11Place the molds in an 8x8x2-inch baking dish filled halfway with hot water.
- 12Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- 13Let stand for a few minutes to set then run a small spatula or knife around the sides of each mold and invert carefully onto serving plates.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Timbales
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 334.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g