Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great side for that Mexican or Tex-Mex meal. I don't remember where I got it so I'm saving it here for posterity. I would hate to lose it!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 4 timbale molds or 4-oz. custard cups.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, cornmeal, cumin, chili powder and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally over moderate heat.
- Lower the heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until very thick.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Whisk about a quarter of the hot cornmeal into the beaten whites then slowly pour the whites into the remaining cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly about 1 minute or more, just until thickened.
- divide the mixture among the prepared molds, pressing the surfaces with the back of a spoon.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place the molds in an 8x8x2-inch baking dish filled halfway with hot water.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand for a few minutes to set then run a small spatula or knife around the sides of each mold and invert carefully onto serving plates.