Prep 20 mins
Cook 52 mins
- 4 large green bell peppers or 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup cream-style corn
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup dry cornbread or 1⁄2 cup corn tortilla, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup freshly-minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- salt or salt substitute, to taste
- pepper, freshly cracked, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill a large kettle to at least half full and bring water to rolling boil.
- Slice off a top'lid' from each pepper and scrape insides clean.
- Plunge shells into water, parboil for 2 minutes, remove from water with care, invert on towels, and drain.
- In a skillet, saute onions and garlic until soft.
- Cool slightly and combine with all other stuffing ingredients and seasonings.
- Stuff peppers with mixture and set in baking pan.
- Bake about 40 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered at 375 degrees, basting often with vegetable broth.
This is a great alternative to the standard rice and beef stuffed peppers. It was a little too much chili powder for our taste, I will cut it back to one teaspoon instead of a tablespoon next time.