1 hr 15 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This is a great soup to use fresh veggies from your garden. It's best to eat this right after you prepare it and don't overcook it! That will cause the zucchini to soften and the broccoli to discolor. Recipe from the Chicago Tribune.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ears corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, 1 sliced in half,2 minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bunch chard leaves, stems removed,sliced (about 10 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 yellow squash, halved lengthwise,cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 head broccoli, florets only (about 12 oz.)
- 5 plum tomatoes, in 1/2 inch dice (about 1 lb.)
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick,grilled or toasted
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Cut kernels from cobs; set aside.
- 2Combine cobs, bay leaf, salt and pepper in 10 cups of water in a large pot; heat to boil, reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
- 3Remove cobs from water and discard.
- 4Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat; add oil and onions.
- 5Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute, add chard and thyme; cook until chard wilts, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 7Stir chard mixture into simmered corn stock.
- 8Add squash, broccoli and tomatoes; heat soup just to a boil.
- 9Remove from heat; adjust seasoning.
- 10Rub grilled bread with garlic halves; place on slice in each soup bowl.
- 11Ladle soup into bowls; top with grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Stock Veggie Soup
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 2099.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: