Recipe by oilpatchjo
These recipes and tips are on the side of a Canada Corn Starch box. I have used this product always and I have never had it fail me. Although it is called Canada Corn Starch it is actually from Memphis Tennessee so I do not know what the this product would be called in the USA.
- 1 3⁄4 cups broth (chicken or beef) or 1 3⁄4 cups water (chicken or beef)
- 2 tablespoons starch (Canada Corn Starch)
- 1⁄4 cup water (use to mix corn starch)
Herbed Chicken Gravy
- 1 3⁄4 chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Onion Mushroom Gravy
- 1 cup onion (saute' chopped)
- 2⁄3 cup mixed mushrooms (sliced saute' in fat drippings)
- 2 tablespoons fat (drippings)
- 1 tablespoon starch (Canada Corn Starch)
- 2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook water or broth over medium heat, stirring to loosen brown bits. Remove from heat. Mix corn 2 tablespoons corn starch with 1/4 cup cold water stir until smooth. Stir into pan. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute to thicken. Season to taste. Makes 2 cups.
- Herbed chicken Gravy: Follow above directions, using chicken broth. stir in 1 tablespoons of chopped parsley and 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning.
- Onion and Mushroom Gravy: Follow above directions using broth with the onion and mushroom recipe.
- Cooks Tips: 1 tablespoon corn starch = 2 Tablespoons flour. Corn starch has twice the thickening power of flour.When a gravy, sauce, soup or stew calls for flour, use half as much corn starch to thicken. To thicken hot liquids, first mix Canada Corn Starch with a little cold water, until smooth. Gradually stir into hot liquid until blended. Stirring constantly, bring to boil and boil for 1 minute until thickened.