Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
No Jiffy mix and no shortening!
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen corn, well drained
- 2 eggs
- fresh ground white pepper
- Spoon cornmeal into heavy-bottomed pan and gradually add 1 cup milk, mixing to blend completely.
- Add remaining 1 cup milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, salt, red pepper flakes, and corn.
- Season to taste with pepper and stir in eggs.
- Cook over low heat until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon into buttered 1-quart glass baking dish and bake at 350°F until firm, raised and lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately, as spoon bread will deflate. Makes 2 entree servings.
This was very good. I added a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the recipe since we like ours a little sweeter. We took it to a party and it went over very well. I think next time I'll add additional pepper flakes, or some green chili peppers for more seasoning. thanks
This was lovely and got rave reviews from DH. I live in a "Jiffy Mix free zone", so it was nice to see a spoonbread recipe that did not require the mix. I tinkered with this a little. I substituted 1 cup of buttermilk for 1 cup of the milk. I also added 2 tbsp. of chopped green onion, 1 tbsp. of finely minced red pepper and 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese. I used some ancho chili instead of the pepper flakes and some smoked sea salt instead of regular salt. I served this as a side dish with grilled chili crusted steak and slow roasted cherry tomatoes. This recipe would nicely serve 4 as a side dish. It would also make a good brunch dish. Thanks for the inspiration Cheesehead!