Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
the corn gives the dish that sweet tatse and the spices are not overwhelming. Anybody looking for an easy, quick and tasty recipe for rice...this is it!
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1 cup spinach (thawed)
- 1 small onion, sliced into moon shaped rings
- 1 cup rice (I use basmati)
- 2 black peppercorns
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 green cardamoms (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- warm oil.
- Add peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom,cloves.
- Stir for a minute.
- Add onions& turmeric and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the corn, spinach and salt and mix well.
- Add rice.
- Mix again.
- Add 2 cups of hot water and let it come to a boil.
- Put a lid and let cook on very low heat for 20 minutes.
This made a nice change from just plain rice. Used brown rice, fresh spinach, ground cinnamon and doubled the turmeric powder. I was a bit concerned it would taste "too eastern" and not match the rest of my menu last night (cabbage salad, creamed chicken and mushrooms), but it did great. Thanks rosewater! This is a keeper!
Very attractive and flavorful! I made certain to remove the cinnamon and cloves before I added the spinach and corn, but left in the peppercorns. I will make this dish again and again.
Very easy and tasty as you have rightly pointed. I have made corn rice and spinach rice but this combo is terrific. I used the green cardamom and some black pepper corns too. Served it with HeatherFeather's recipe for Ugly naked Chicken. Perfect cover.;) Thanks for posting. - Fay