Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
recipe is from Mother Earth Living, and is a recipe for canning. The original instructions call for the corn to be boiled, but I like to oven roast mine in the husks for 30 minutes at 350F. If you want a mild salsa, remove the seeds from the jalapenos. For a spicier version, leave the seeds in, and increase the jalapeno count to 5.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Add corn and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- When corn is cool enough to handle, stand cobs on their ends and slice to cut off kernels (this step really is easier if you stand the cob in the center of a bundt or angel food cake pan), being careful not to cut into the cobs.
- Empty and clean out the stockpot.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, cumin, and salt in the stockpot, and bring to a boil. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and corn kernels, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in cilantro and return to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Use a boiling water canner to preserve. Ladle into prepared half pint or pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles. Wipe jar rims clean; center lids on jars and screw on jar bands just until fingertip tight.
- Process for 15 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid, and let jars rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars and set aside for 24 hours.
- Check seals, then store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.