Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this little gem in one of those free booklets they give out in the grocery store. It's great as a side dish but could also be a vegetarian main course, served with salad and bread.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups asiago cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; cook the onion, red pepper, carrots, salt, oregano and pepper, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the rice for 1 minute.
- Pour in the boiling water and the corn; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and flour; stir into the rice mixture.
- Stir in the Asiago cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Spread into a greased 8-inch square casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the centre of a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
This was a wonderful success and so easy to do - mine was a bit firmer than a casserole and could almost be sliced like a soft rice pie - I served it with sweet chilli sauce and it was fabulous so thanks Irmgard.