Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are cornbread muffins with a piece of hot dog in the middle. I got this recipe from USA Weekend Newspaper - Nov. 10-12, 2006.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten with fork
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 hot dogs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line muffin pan with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Make a hole in the bottom of the bowl and pour in milk, beaten egg, and oil. Stir just until blended. Fold in cheese.
- Drop a spoonful of batter into each muffin cup. Place hot dog piece into batter. Fill with enough batter to cover the hot dog (This does not mean drown the hot dog. It means make sure the piece is covered in batter because the batter will rise).
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Muffins should be lightly browned and clean when toothpick is inserted. Let cool before removing from pan.
I cheated i used box muffin mix. But these were great my daughter loved them!!
Try these! Try these and You'll see! Try these and you will be soooo PLEASED! My guys (a football coache's meeting) LOVED these little bites! Used a mini muffin tin, worked great! Served with Sweet-Hot mustard. Will use again for the Super Bowl! Go Redskins! (Just not the '09 Season- UGH!)
Easy & delicious. Made up 8 large muffins(silicone muffin cups) & used cheese hot dogs. Something simple & different for those extra hot dogs.