Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is FABULOUS!!! I found the recipe on food network - and it was perfect for Christmas dinner!!!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped seeded poblano pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh white corn kernels (I used 2 bags of frozen and defrosted it day I prepared)
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme (ok I didn't get fresh, but used the italian seasoning with both thyme and oregano)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated havarti cheese (I used white sharp cheddar)
- 6 slices cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and pepper, cook, stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add corn, 2 tsp of the thyme, 3/4 tsp of salt, and cayenne. Cook until just tender and starting to turn golden about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Put half of corn mixture in food processor with heavy cream and blend until smooth.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, sugar, rest of thyme, remaining salt, and black pepper until frothy.
- Add pureed corn and whole corn mixtures along with the cheese, bacon, and green onions and whisk to combine.
- Pour into prepared dish and bake until set and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.