Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and Vegetarian Cooking: "This hearty American soup is high in both fiber and flaver. It's wonderful served with crusty bread and topped with melted cheddar cheese"
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded,halved & sliced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups stock or 2 1⁄2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (7 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels
- 1 pinch dried sage
- Put the onion, garlic, potato, celery and green pepper into a large saucepan with the oil and butter.
- Heat the ingredients untill sizzling, then turn the heat down to low.
- Cover and sweat the vegetables gently for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occaionally.
- Pour in the stock or water, season to taste and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
- Add the milk, beans and corn-including their liquors- and the sage.
- Simmer again for 5 minutes.
- check the seasoning and serve hot.
This was terrible! Watery, no substance...