Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Adjust ingredient amounts to taste.
Top Review by Bobbie
I hate giving this 2 stars -- but it really was just "OK" for us. I think it was the cumin -- it just didn't seem to "compliment" the potatos and cheese. My onion was large -- and I wished I had only used half of it. I'm not sure I'll make it again. I have a lot of your recipes, Kittencal -- and this is the first one that we've really not enjoyed to the fullest. Thanks, Bobbie
- 8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder (can use more)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and cut into about 1/2-inch cubes, or smaller)
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 lb old cheddar cheese, grated
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the bacon in a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan over medium heat until crisp; transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon when cool enough to handle, crumble into small pieces; set aside.
- Melt butter and sauté onion and cumin until softened (about 4 minutes adding in the garlic the last 2 minutes).
- Add in the flour and whisk for 1 minute.
- Add/whisk in the broth; bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and simmer, covered for about 6-8 minutes (until JUST tender).
- Stir in the whipping cream and corn, season with cayenne and salt; return to a simmer until the corn is heated through (about 2 minutes).
- Add in 1/2-pound grated cheddar, stirring just until the cheese has melted (do not let boil).
- Ladle into bowls, top with about 1/4 cup grated cheddar and then crumbled bacon.