Recipe by mollypaul
An unusual but tasty cookie with a touch of the South. From an old newspaper clipping.
Top Review by Heartspell
These are FANTASTIC!! I love cookies made with cornmeal, just a totally different texture. DH and Kids loved them...eating them as fast as I could bake them! They are soft, moist and nutty. Mmmmm! I substituted Splenda Baking Blend for sugar, used pecans...everything else did the same. Thanks so much for this recipe!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (not spread or tub product) or 3⁄4 cup lard (not spread or tub product) or 3⁄4 cup butter (not spread or tub product)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup banana, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (your choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg; stir in bananas.
- Blend into flour mixture; stir in nuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.