1 hr 10 mins
This is a great hard polenta recipe. In fact, with a few modifications, I used this for my final cooking practical in culinary school. Allow this to set and use for croutons, grill, sauté, or whatever.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a sauce pan sweat the shallot and garlic with a little bit of olive oil until cooked (translucent).
- 2Add the water and quickly bring to a boil.
- 3Gradually whisk in the polenta a little at a time until all the polenta is in the water (to prevent lumps).
- 4Turn the heat down to medium-low flame and cook the polenta until done (about 40 minutes or when the polenta 'pulls' away from the sides of the pan).
- 5Stir frequently so the polenta doesn't crust on the bottom of the pan--this makes cleanup MUCH easier.
- 6In another pan sweat the corn until fully cooked, no colour, then remove from heat.
- 7When the polenta is done fold in the corn and grated cheese.
- 8Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 9Layout on a pan or into a mold and refrigerate until firm (20 minutes).
- 10To serve: Sauté, grill, toss with flour and fry for croutons, etc-- the options are endless!
- 11As an extra option, use 5 cups of water instead of 4 for a soft polenta. Serve warm out of the pan and elevate it by adding some marscapone cheese, whipped cream, or roasted mushrooms.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corn Polenta
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 14.6 mg
- Sodium 279.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 10.8 g