Much easier to make than it sounds. This is a great light dinner for summer or makes a great weekend lunch.
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice
- 150 g frozen broad beans
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 90 g self-raising flour
- 90 g polenta
- 250 ml milk
- 310 g corn kernels
- salt and pepper
- olive oil (for frying)
- Dice tomatoes and avocado a place in a large bowl. Stir in the lime juice.
- Pour boiling water over broad beans and leave for 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Remove skins and add to tomato and avocado, along with the corriander.
- Place crushed garlic, vinegar and oil in a jar and shake. Add to salsa and mix well.
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the polenta. Add milk and corn and mix until combined. Season well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Spoon mixture into pan to desired size. Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with the salsa.
- Variations- use basil in place of corriander or cucumber in place of avocado.
These pancakes are extra sweet and delicious because of the added corn kernels. I thought there were too much, but once cooked it is just the right amount. I sort of plopped them into the pan, then when I turned them, I used the spatula to flatten and shape them a little. I made the salsa ahead of time and DH came by and ate a spoonful and declared it "real good!" High praise from him. So, I had to make more for me, heh heh heh, I did not have the quick cooking polenta, so used instant masa harina. Worked great! You are one of "My 3 Chefs, 2013" in the Contests and Events Forum.